- Mr. Rajiv Shukla created Constellation Alpha as a permanent capital platform for high-growth companies. In June 2017, Mr. Shukla led the IPO of his first SPAC, Constellation Alpha Capital Corp, to raise $144 million in total proceeds. In August 2019, Constellation Alpha Capital merged with DermTech, Inc. (DMTK). As of Feb 21, 2019, the stock price was 105% above the transaction price of $6.50 per share.
- Previously, he served as CEO of Pipavav Defense & Offshore Engineering, a 4,000-person listed company with operations in the defense, shipbuilding, and heavy engineering sectors. In this role, he led an operational restructuring that involved re-alignment of key business areas, several senior hires in the management team, submission of over $5 billion in new business bids and structuring of strategic alliances with global leaders in shipbuilding and defense. He also implemented one of India’s largest financial restructuring projects involving more than 25 banks and sold the Company to the Reliance Group through a process that drew 4 competitive bidders. The stock price rose by ~2x from the start of the Restructuring to the Sale closing.
- Earlier, Mr. Shukla had a long career on the buy-side at Pfizer, Morgan Stanley Investment Management and Citi Venture Capital International. Over his investment career, he was involved with over 40 transactions including the $60 billion acquisition of Pharmacia in 2003, $125 million acquisition of Meridica in 2004, $1.9 billion acquisition of Vicuron Pharmaceuticals in 2005, and acquisitions of Idun Pharmaceuticals in 2005 and Rinat Neuroscience in 2006 as well as private equity transactions in specialty chemicals, pharmaceuticals, animal health, contract research organizations, pharmacies and tertiary hospitals.
- Mr. Shukla has served as a Director on the Boards of 11 companies.
- He graduated with a Masters in Healthcare Management & Policy from Harvard University and a Bachelors in Pharmaceutics from the Indian Institute of Technology.
- Before joining the Constellation Alpha team, Mr. Eric Roberts was the Co-founder of Valence Life Sciences Fund focused on investments in public and private biopharma companies.
- Earlier, he co-founded and ran as Managing Director and PM, Caxton Advantage Venture Partners, a joint venture fund manager with Caxton Associates
- Previously, Mr. Roberts served as Co-Head and Managing Director of Global Healthcare Investment Banking at Lehman Brothers.
- Mr. Roberts was the Founding Partner and Managing Director of the Life Sciences Department at UBS (earlier Dillon, Read & Co.)
- He began his career as an Associate at Citi Venture Capital.
- Mr. Roberts has served as a Director on the Boards of 4 companies.
- He graduated with a Bachelors in Economics from the Wharton School at the University of Pennsylvania.
- Before joining the Constellation Alpha team, Mr. Gill Sawhney had a 25-year career in healthcare investment banking during which he served as Head of Life Sciences Investment Banking at Thomas Weisel Partners, ING Barings and Morgan Joseph.
- He has also served as Managing Director, Healthcare Investment Banking at Cantor Fitzgerald.
- Earlier, he served as one of the founding members of UBS’ Life Sciences Investment Banking department where he played a key role in helping the Team achieve #1 rank for medical device and #2 for biopharma IPOs during his tenure.
- Previously, Mr. Sawhney served as Associate/Analyst at Cowen and Hambrecht & Quist.
- Mr. Sawhney has advised on over 110 capital market transactions and 33 US/European healthcare IPOs.
- He graduated with a Bachelors in Economics (plus, pre-med) from the Wharton School at the University of Pennsylvania.
- Mr. Terrance Carlson has served as General Counsel for several leading medical device and pharmaceutical companies.
- General Counsel and Executive Committee Member, Mallinckrodt Pharmaceuticals
- Chairman, Investment Committee, Gretchen Keller Capital
- General Counsel & Secretary, Synthes. World’s 2nd biggest medical device company by revenue. Played key role in $19.7 billion sale to J&J
- General Counsel, Medtronic. World’s biggest medical device company by revenue.
- General Counsel, SVP, Business Development & Strategy, PerkinElmer
- Deputy General Counsel, AlliedSignal (Honeywell).
- Partner, Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher.
- Mr. Carlson graduated with Juris Doctor degree from the University of Michigan and a Bachelors in Accounting from the University of Minnesota.